My three-year-old caught salmonella from a Kinder egg, mum claims
A three-year-old girl looked ‘dead behind her eyes’ after contracting salmonella after eating a Kinder Surprise chocolate egg, her frightened mum has claimed. Charlotte Wingfield said her daughter Brooklyn-Mai was only awake for 12-14 hours over a four-day period as her temperature soared to 39C, as reported by HullLive.
She also spent time in hospital after feeling “extreme pain”, with Charlotte believing she had been intoxicated by the chocolate treat. Kinder has warned the public not to eat its products, and the company’s Belgian factory has also been ordered to close.
In a Facebook post, shared over 650 times, Charlotte said: “Brooklyn-Mai has been so bad since I picked her up from daycare on Monday. Since I was so sick last week, I’m not there. thought about her getting off with the belly bug I had until she slept for 21 hours over the next 24 hours, then continued to fall asleep while she did things.
“Her temperature soared to over 39C and I found it difficult to bother her. I knew something was wrong and spoke to the GP who went through a list of what it could be .
“I hung up the phone thinking she had a virus bug. Fast forward three days and it was confirmed she had salmonella from the Kinder chocolate she ate on Sunday. She is completely dead behind the eyes and so lifeless, it’s absolutely heartbreaking to see my usually feisty, adventurous and very active little girl being the complete opposite of everything she usually is.”
Ferrero, owner of the Kinder brand, suspended operations at its Arlon factory and said it would only reopen “once certified by the authorities”, adding that “internal inefficiencies, creating delays in recovery and sharing information in a timely manner” had “affected the speed and effectiveness of investigations.” previously only applying to products with an expiry date up to 7 October 2022.
The Food Standards Agency is investigating the Salmonella outbreak linked to Kinder products and the recall involves Kinder Surprise, Kinder Mini Eggs, Kinder Surprise 100g and Kinder Schokobons. The UK Health Safety Agency said on Wednesday that 63 people in the UK are believed to have contracted salmonella during the outbreak linked to the products.
For more stories of where you live, visit In your region